Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Connection between the Physical and Spiritual Sacrifice of Jesus

I was asked to prepare for this coming Sunday's children's moment at Corona UMC.  I must admit I dread being asked to do the Children's moment, not because I do not think it is important, I believe that to them the Kingdom of Heaven belongs.  I am nervous because kids are very binary, I am just glad that my Pastor and Church Office Manager gave me the opportunity to study up on it.

First of I cannot emphasize enough how much I love my LOGOS program.  The resource that I have on my fighter tips  is phenomenal.  Best investment I have ever made.


I was asked to speak on John 6:51-59 (English Standard Version) 



"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum."


Unlike the synoptic gospels the book of John was written without using Mark as a main point of reference.  Written by John around 90 AD - John was wrote this gospel to combat the ever growing Gnostic philosophy.  Which in its foundation it believes that the Spirit which is inherently good and the Physical (Body) inherently evil and that two are separate and cannot dwell in its pure form together.  

That created two immediate contradiction with me:  

First if God is Good and thus he is a spirt, how can God create the physical world?
Second how can they explain Jesus Christ who was man and yet God at the same time?

To explain this, the gnostics came up with Emanations.  One in which he was either a phantom or that Christ entered Jesus at baptism then leave at the beginning of His sufferings.  Hence he was never physically here just appeared to be here.   It was this emanation that allowed God to be less spiritual and more physical enough to create the physical.  

When John records on the verses above that directly combat that blasphemous theory.  Jesus is using a physical act of eating and drinking to save the soul as well as using a deplorable act of cannibalism (which clearly Jesus was not referring to) to do something good.  

As well as in order to do this act the body must be broken and the blood shall be shed.  

It never cease to amaze me the depth the Word of God truly is.  I thank you Lord for allowing me to see and learn this.   

No comments: