Friday, December 26, 2014

CI Chicago

First night here at CI Chicago. Much smaller group to what I am use to and the biggest shock was that CI is only 4 days long. First person I met was Ian and Edward who was nice enough to pick me up from the airport. I think they were relieved that I entertained them the other way around. Took us two hours to get to camp and I thought the drive on cajalco was dark and deserted this place took  it to another level. 
Once at the campsite went to the basement where all the evening program was taking place. They had an auction thing going on. Donated by staff and campers. Saw some familiar faces of Kathlyn and the Melads (Pastor, Vincent, Dodong, and Angela) as well as Caj and Kath's sister. Then I finally met Ann, James and his team as well as Joash. 

I was ready for the cold but it's hella warm I over packed. So far I love what I'm seeing and its to early to determine anything. But I can see the passion is there and the genuine desire to serve God. So with those ingredients it's got the potential of a huge success. 


Day 2:
First full day of Christmas Institute, I had a chance to finally meet my family group, I haven't instantly made a connection with them yet, but the dynamic is a little different.  First of, most of them never met me before, nor do they know anything about me, but I think I'm hamstring myself and worrying too much about the 45 minutes of family group time.  I need to let the Lord be the one in control of the family group and be the counselor they need me to be.  I'm trying to force something that cannot be forced.  You think by now I would have learned that.  I guess that is one of things the Lord wants me to learn (if not a second time) that GOD is ALWAYS in charge.  I think today I will talk about the Sower and the Seed and then go into the discussion of the one thing GOD cannot do.  

I also had the blessed opportunity to speak during the afternoon service as guest speaker.  I think I was able to find my voice as a speaker, I will go around and ask more campers about if they have found what I said relevant.  I talked about Dr. Dogterom's insight on Jesus calming the Storm, and the exogetical insights that he had brought in when I heard him talk about that.  I of course added my stamp of style on my sermon, where I made it my own.  

I also led a workshop and it was on HT.  I am a little concerned because technically I was suppose to clear that with Tom first, but being in the mountain, its hard to communicate.  They learned the basics of palm and punch with elbow strikes and knee and kicks.  Without any equipment this is the best that I can do.  I also explained the differents anatomy of the tools that we have.  

Day 3 & 4:

I thought I would have time to write down my reflection for dayy 3 but the day's event got away from me.   The morning started off normal, except it was a tough night sleeping again.  It was clear that I was alergic to something in my room.  It probably had something to do with the blanket or the bedsheets.  Either way, I was ichy.  Good thing Kathlyn gave me a blanket for Christmas.  I opened it up and then it covered my chin to my waist.  Apparently the blanket made me choose, which part of me was going  be warm.  It was all sorts of funny, but I knew then that I was not going sleep in that room the following night.  

The schedule was re-shifted a bit instead of me teaching the martial arts workshop in the afternoon, they changed it to the morning.  This time Pastor Romir and his wife joined the class, and this was a little more intense since I actually had an hour and half to teach.  Instead of the 45 minutes alloted.  Then lunch and then break.  THe only thing was that I thought i had more time with my family group, but instead it became one more session and half of my group was missing because they were staff.  

Oh I did have a great talk with Yoann, from Central Africa about the cost of a salvation.  He was genuinely into what I was talking about till we were late  from lunch.  I just pray that I was able to make a small impact on the lives of my family group members.  If there was something I would suggest to change w/NIC CI is that they need to allow more time for family group and less time on workshops, or free time.  

Mr and Ms CI, I must admit I had some strong reservation about this event, since it could construde as a popularity contest, they even had campaign managers and even pitted sisters against each others.  But I was really turned around when the majority of judging was based on wisdom.  So whom am I to say that this does not bring any intringent benefits to the campers.  I think maybe my biased way has planted that if we don't do it mentality then it must be wrong.  This is why I want to get out of California, because we live in such a bublle that anyone or anything that differs from the way "we" think it must be wrong.  How arrogant, being at this CI confirms that.  It was great and the kids had a wonderful time.  Immidietly followed by the talent show night and the "oldies" wanted me to perform with them.  I don't know if I declined respectfully or not, but I believe that old guys like myself should not use that time to showcase my talents but to showcase that of the kids.  Or maybe I was just too arrogant again.  Man I really need to work on that.  

After that was the commitment night service and Pastor Hannah did a beautiful job and delivered a wonderful message, and I was honored to be asked to pray for the campers who commit and or re-commit to Christ.  Never fails, there I was praying for these campers as they share their burdens to GOD.  Thank you Lord for that moment where these campers lives and help them in the times of sorrow.  I am truly honored.  

After that it was free time, yet the pastor's and I stayed behind to see if there was anyone needing counseling.  Although I am not going to say who or what this person shared, but my past experience related to this person.  But I could not help but bring back issues that I had gone through.  

Then it was an impromptu smores session and Talent Showcase II, started w/Pastor Lindsay grabbing the guitar and singing.  THen Pastor Romir grabbed the mic and started calling others to perform.  Jay, was an opera tenor and had a beautiful voice and even asked Yoann to translate a song from Romeo and Juliet that he sang in French.  Gorgeous.   

After that we Micah asked anyone wanted to play Mafia.  I asked what their rules and how to play, and it was definelty different from the Mafia I played.  We tried the Chicago style first and it was different.  THe moderator was more involved and was the key to the game.  He had  the special task of createing a story that needs to be immaginative.  Then we played KILLER CALI style, I know I am trying not to be this arrogant California guest, but I am going to say it.  Killer CALI version is better IHMO, and iin the end some if not preferred thhat better that Killer Cali style.  Micah and Jay said so, and even those who was there to observe liked it.  We played a few more rounds and there was a round where I won (townspeople).  

Came back to the room around 2 AM and decided to sleep on the couch.  At least I wasn't sctratching anymore.  Woke up around 10 AM and breakfast was over. But we did have pizza not the Chicago famous pizza.  What can u do. 

Overall I had a blast at this CI. Was it different from what I am use to? Yes, are they as big (attendance wise) as what I am use to? Definitely. But is this any less of a Christmas Institute NO. The people's genuine love for God shines through everything that they do.  And it brings joy to my heart that this is happening at the same night in other parts of the world. I am just blessed and honored to be a part of it. Thank you to God and my Chicago friends and family. 








No comments: