Friday, November 21, 2008

my letter to Kristen about PROP 8

Prop 8 – Okay so I too have been wrestling with this one and praying about this. But not on the issue about homosexuality but to publicly come out of the (excuse my pun) closet on this. I know where I stand but I am not sure people are going to perceive it in the message in what I truly stand on but since you know me (better than most) I will try. Just let me know if any of this makes sense.

So what I was saying is my stance on this is two folds, one about how I feel (theologically) about homosexuality and the other is how I feel (politically) same sex marriage fall into state mandate.

First it is clear from scriptures that homosexuality is a sin. Leviticus 20:13 say, “If a man lies with another male as he lies with a woman, both of them committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.” Scriptures tell us that homosexuality is a sin. And in this scripture, the Israelites have deemed this act as punishable by death. Now as you know, I believe that if you believe in one part of the scriptures you have to believe in all. For it is far more dangerous to pick and choose which part we want to believe than believing in it as a whole. But this scripture also exist. Romans 13:1-7 states: "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” It says that we should obey the laws of the land, and that is where we start going into subjective topic.

I believe that the United States is great because the founding fathers knew that although GOD should be the cornerstone of our lives and how we do things, they also knew the dangers of using doctrine to determine the laws of the land. Many times in history we can see how the establishment used the scripture to push for their own agenda. Such as the crusades, and even to today’s Islamic fundamentalist Jihad, in these instances they were imposing their religious belief to push the state or government to do their will. So the founding fathers decided to instill within the foundation the separation between Church and State under the 1st Amendment. So any laws written cannot violate this fundamental belief that there is NO established religion of the United States. Also I believe in a free society, any laws written are a law that limits our individual freedoms. Yes laws are required but I believe that laws should only be written if it causes harm to others thus impeding their rights. So then where is the basis of the Right Wing (conservatives) of why we should outlaw same-sex marriages? Does it hurt me if my neighbor is gay? Or does it hurt me that they want to live a life that they choose. Why is personal freedom only limited to those who are heterosexuals? What’s next is the state going to start telling me whom to marry? They did in the 60’s a white man cannot marry an African-American. But if we still think that way, well our new President – Elect wouldn’t be here.

What surprises me is how these fundamentalist or what I also call a bunch of homophobic people don’t gear up to fight for the other Christian beliefs? I support Dave Sormillion due to the fact that there is no issue that he will run away from, but as a state why did PROP 8 pass yet PROP 4 did not? Now this is another Oprah altogether, but why did these so called “CHRISTIANS” let Prop 4 fail, when that is about abortion and that does hurt others. Yet Prop 8 did, where no one gets hurt, but because they are so afraid of the “GAYS” that they needed to be protected from them.

Kris, I hope this makes sense, not that I don’t think you couldn’t comprehend this, but whether or not you can even understand my thoughts since it tends to get jumbled up and mixed up from my brain to my fingertips. But that is where I stand.

No comments: